Thursday, March 19, 2009

Why I don't do Facebook...


Over the past several weeks there have been a couple of blog discussions going on about a couple of things that have been rather interesting...One has to do with moral integrity and what some people do to safeguard their marriages. The other having to do with relationships in a Web 2.0 world.

And I thought since I've been getting asked by about everyone (sorry Grandma) I know about joining Facebook, I thought I join in the discussion on both fronts...

I know everyone has their opinion on these things and I'm not offering my opinion on either of the two above subjects but more of why I do what I do...

First off, I have the propensity to be an idiot. That being said, for me, I don't do facebook for the simple reason of not having a chance to be an idiot (at least in the social networking front). When I did the whole myspace deal back in the day, it was so easy to reconnect with people of the past. And I caught myself being way too involved with checking out how so and so was looking and spending more time checking out pics of people than wanting to know how they were doing. Basically, I was being an idiot. So I gaffed the myspace thing as did Amanda and we agreed that we wouldn't do the facebook deal. I'm sure it's a great thing but it's just something that Amanda and I have chosen not to do...I know we could probably have an account together so we can hold each other accountable but it's still a risky prop...Because remember, I can be an idiot...

To the second part of the discussion...I feel at times I'm a crappy friend. I'm so ridiculously blesssed to have the raddest friends on the planet and I feel I don't spend enough time with them or call/email them to see how they're doing. I have friends right here in Atlanta that I haven't hung out with 6 months. That's crap. I have friends in HB that I haven't talked to since I've gotten married. That's crap. I have a friend that had a baby 3 months ago and I just called him a couple of days ago. That's crap. I have a friend in Bolivia that got married in January and I haven't returned his call or email (Sorry bro). Not because I don't like him but because I'm lazy and I take my friendships for granted sometimes...So for me, joining the Facebook revolution would probably make me a worse friend as I can't even juggle the friendships I currently have...I know reconnecting with little Billy from 4th grade homeroom would be rad but I need to give some shout outs to my bros that I got now...Once again, I'm sure people are able to make that whole deal work but I just can't see myself making it happen. I have too many relationships that I need to work on...

Enough said...I gotta get on the phone and send some emails...

1 comment:

Richard said...

Seriously good post...excellent that you're holding your ground where you need to. Now...if you ever start Twittering, let me know!