Monday, October 20, 2008

Reading Machine...

I've been reading a lot lately and I haven't posted any reviews and for that, I apologize.

I shall post now:

The Shack by William Young
Phenom book. There was lots of hype about it and I really do think it lived up to it. Several theologians and pastors out there have given it a bad rap because it's not theologically sound. I'm neither but thought the book was awesome. It really provided a sense of tangibility to the Holy Trinity. It may not be right but it gave me some great insight of how God may think. If you haven't read this. Please do. Tell me you want a copy and I'll buy it for you. You can check out their website here to get the gist of the book since I won't do it any justice here except to tell you to read it...


King of Torts by John Grisham
After Amanda and I listened to another Grisham novel we decided to check this one out on our trip to Panama City. Once again, very entertaining and a great listen. Same ol' same ol' with Grisham in that it's about a small time lawyer going against big corporation. But there is a major twist that sends this thing all over the board. If you want to listen to it, holler at me and I'll send it to you. It's worth it if you have a long drive somewhere.


Killing Pablo by Mark Bowden
This one has been on my list for a while and I finally got to it. I read another book by Mark Bowden last year and really enjoyed it. This was a cool book. It gives a brief history on who Pablo was and a pretty detailed look at how he was taken down with the help of american authorities. This was a very enjoyable read. You kind of get lost with all the Columbian characters involved though.


Next by Michael Crichton
I bought this book at Barnes and Noble about 4 months ago and never touched it. It was on sale for 5 bucks and was hardcover so I figured what the heck. This is the first time I've read a Michael C. book and I have to say dude has whack job imagination. This book ate me up. On a recent trip to Indianapolis a couple of weeks ago, I waxed this 400 page mofo. It's about big biological research companies working with genes...Human and animal. Let's just say there was a talking monkey and a smart ass talking bird that pretty much saved the day in the end. Crazy stuff I tell ya.
Since I read chomped this book up while on the trip I needed something to read coming home...The old man at the airport bookstore asked what I was into and I told him about my recent read. He was quick to say "You have to read.......

Timeline by Michael Crichton
So I went with the dude's recomendation and did it...I didn't like it as much as Next but it was still entertaining. Once again, this dude has crazy imagination to write this stuff....Essentially, it's about a company building a time machine like deal that sends some researchers off to France in the medievil period. Entertaining. Kind of got boring through the second half. I only finished because I wanted to see what happened.


This past week while in Michigan, my buddy Doche gave me another to read which he is a firm believer in...

Fair Tax by Neal Boortz and John Lidner
Very very interesting book. Here's the premise...Take away all federal income, payroll, capital gains, social security and medicare taxes and replace it with a 23% consumption tax. According to the authors, it's not a tax cut. It's revenue neutral. Meaning Gov't still should have same amount to spend and pay social security and medicare. There are so many more details to it that I don't have the will to type about but I will say it's interesting. There's several things I'm not concrete on and would like to do some more research. If you haven't read it, don't knock it. There's a lot of people out there that knock this plan without knowing anything about it along with not liking the guy that wrote it but I suggest you read it first before coming to conclusions. I'm not sold but the premise is pretty interesting and I think should be explored further....


That's it for now...I'm reading a great book about the Supreme Court now which is interesting by Jeffery Toobin (CNN dude). Also, if you have any good suggestions, let Amanda know...She's shopping for my b-day...I'm thinking about really getting into American history stuff. I saw a documentry on Nixon the other night and I'm intrigued to read about former presidents...I know, I'm such a tool...

If you want any of these books to borrow to peruse, let me know...

5 comments:

WT said...

i'd like to borrow the nine when you're finished (assuming that's what you're reading). would be good honeymoon reading... oh wait, shouldn't i not read about law stuff while i'm there??? :)

Anonymous said...

Man, you're right on about The Shack. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and I'm a pastor!

I saw Next in the bookstore but didn't get it, now I will! I read The Terminal Man and The Andromeda Strain by Crichton back in my high school days, but nothing by him since.

Unknown said...

I still think you should read The Runaway Jury and A Time to Kill by John Grishom They give you something to think about. Mims

Anonymous said...

what a reading machine you are....love you both more than the world....

Brownman said...

holy book reading batman!