Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Yachts, Wood and Holland...

One of the many cool things about my job is the fact that I get to be around boats...I love boats, I love being on boats and I love seeing how boats are built. I think it's so cool that talented individuals can create something so cool...

Well, the past couple of days, I've been in Holland, Michigan meeting with a group of designers talking about new boats to build in the coming years. Great stuff...Great people. And I'm really looking forward to what the future holds for the stuff we are talking about. It's been a long term project that I've been working on for the past three years and it's cool to see some of it starting to come to fruition...

So the guy that I'm up here with, knows a guy that knows a guy that is the head sales dude at Tiara Yachts...Tiara just so happens to be in Holland, Michigan. Of course we had to go check it out. Absolutely amazing is all I have to say. By far the biggest and most impressive boat manufacturing facility I've ever been to. They build boats that our bosses boss buys. That's why there are called yachts and not boats. That was yesterday...

Today, while at lunch with head guy of the design company we're talking to, I asked him about the wooden boat company that he's done some work for. He said it was right down the road and asked if we wanted to check it out...We were like, ahh yeah we want to see some wooden boats...

And what a treat it was...totally different from yesterday...Small place (maybe 5,00o square feet)...No fiberglass, about 10 employees that build all 20 of their boats per year by hand. It was incredible to watch these craftsman at work. The company is called Grand Craft and they make replica boats of the past. Wood used to be the material of choice when building boats but manufacturers got away from it and starting using fiberglass...These guys are keeping it real. Something crazy...It takes about 90 days, start to finish to build a 58' Yacht with triple engines and it takes these dudes about 8 months to finish a 26ft boat with twin engines. You guys probably could care less but it's really cool stuff...

Anyway, that's been my last couple of days and I wanted to share because I thought it was so cool...
This is the Tiara's plant...Employs a lot of people...

And this is an example of what they build...


This is a grand craft...36 ft. Commuter...

Another...23 ft. Sport...


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

JUST BEAUTIFUL...I LOVE TO READ ABOUT YOUR TRAVELS AND CHECK OUT YOUR PHOTOS...HOW DO YOU THINK THE WOODEN BOAT WOULD LOOK SITTING IN THE DRIVEWAY IN THE HB???...MISS YOU...HOW IS FRAMANDA???LOVE YOU BOTH MORE THAN THE WORLD...love mom....

Unknown said...

I think one of those little beauties would be just perfect for a fun couple that we both know out here in the HB and if I am really nice to them maybe they would take me for a spin to Catalina. Of course I can't discuss politics with your dad any more because he would tie me to the anchor and throw me overboard. Love you. Mims

Unknown said...

Many people have the desire to own a boat and to go to the beach for a joy ride in it. But not everyone gets to do that, as boats and yachts are really very expensive and common people cannot afford it. This is the reason why there are lots of boat club around. You don’t have to buy a boat, you can just become the member of one of these clubs and use the boats.