Sunday, January 25, 2009

A bit of a Problem....

I have a problem...And it's a pretty lame one at that...I really like to read...

How lame does that sound?

So far in 2009, I've been on team read...Amanda and my friends said that's all I blog about now. So I'll pair it down a bit...

Here's a quick glimpse into the few that I've read in 2009 thus far...

The Audacity of Hope by President Barack Obama
Pretty good book. Will be looking forward to his book after his time in the Oval office.
Favorite lines of the book: "Identities are scrambling, and then cohering in new ways. Beliefs keep slippin though the noose of predictability. Facile expectations and simple explanations are being constantly upended. Spend time actually talking to Americans, and you discover that most evangelicals are more tolerant that the media would have us believe, most secularists more spiritual. Most rich people want the poor to succeed, and most of the poor are both more self-critical and hold higher aspirations than the popular culture allows. Most republican strongholds are 40% democrat, and vice versa. The political labels of liberal and conservative rarely track people's personal attributes."

Flight of Passage: A Memoir by Rinker Buck
A little dandy of a great adventure of two young kids in the 60s...Fix up an old Piper Cub and fly it to Southern California from New Jersey. Fun read.

Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore
Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh...Phenom book about an incredible lady, husband and former slave. Modern day story that will make you cry your face off. I read this book last Sunday. Yeah, just one day. I'm a tool but it's that good of a book. If you don't cry, you may not have a heart...

Through Painted Deserts by Donald Miller
Another great cross country adventure...This time in a volkswagon bus. Nice read. Fun. Funny at times. Liked Blue Like Jazz better but nonetheless enjoyed this one as well...

Those are in the complete box of 2009...

I'm currently in the middle of Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell and am also going through Francis Chan's Crazy Love with our small group. Both are drastically changing the way I view life...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just finished "Same Kind of Different As Me" last night. Great, great read. It also had insight I needed about how it is not necessary to give away everything you own to help other people. Thank your lovely bride for the suggestion for me. I really enjoyed it and bought it for someone else!