Sunday, July 27, 2008

Recent Reads...

I've been somewhat on a reading/listening kick here lately...So I wanted to share some of that goodness of what I've been reading and listening to...

First read on the list is Alan Greenspan's Age of Turbulence. I actually read this book while on the honeymoon...Do I know how to party or what??? Anyways, I've wanted to read this book for awhile. I had heard good things about it and with the current US economic situation, I wanted to hear what AG had to say...

The book is basically split into two parts...1) His bio 2) Ecomonics...Well, the first part talks about economics as well but the second half of the book was much more termy...I don't think termy is a word...But you know what I'm saying.

Truthfully, I enjoyed the first half of the book much better because I really liked hearing what he had to say about the presidents he worked for as well as why he made certain decisions while in the Fed. Dude is smart...Dude hung out with lots of cool people...Including, Ayn Rand, the lady that owns me and all I'm worth...

If you're kind of a tool and like econ stuff or history, read this book. Have a econ dictionary on hand because there are some words I still don't know what they mean...

A few weeks ago for the 4th, Amanda and I drove to Indiana, Rensselaer to be exact, for a family reunion (Probably need to do a post on this as well)...My first with the new fam...We decided to drive it because the plane tickets were stupid high and we bit the bullet and made the 10 hour run...

Well, before we left, I went to Barnes and Noble and threw up money all over the place and bought a couple of books on CD...Kind of like reading....

On the way up, we listened to Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. I think this was an Oprah book and I heard it was fairly popular.

Truthfully, we didn't even make it all the way through. It just didn't do it for us. A few of her stories were funny but for the most part we felt like it was a boo bears party for her...She was the reader as well which made it even more boo bearish...We should probably listen to the rest but I don't think I'll be able to get through it. Just not my cup of tea man...

If anybody wants to buy this from me,,,let me know...20 bucks, it's yours...


The second book that Amanda and I listened to was the Appeal by John Grisham. RAD is all I have to say. They need to make a movie about this one because I'd see it and after my Rock the Reception starness, I'd probably have to be in it as well.

In all seriousness, this is a good read/listen. The jist without giving too much away...Big business trying to get a Mississippi supreme court judge elected to rule liability cases in their favor. The 10 hour drive felt like 2 while listening to this book.

I'm sure it's a really great read as well but the dude that read the book was very dynamic and was able to do different voices for all the different characters. Phenom job reader dude...

If you like John Grisham stuff, this won't let you down...I promise....

A few weeks ago, Amanda and I were watching Glenn Beck (I'm a toolbag) and he was promoting an author and his new book...Sounded awesome and Amanda was stoked on it so I bought it...

The Last Patriot by Brad Thor is the epitome of awesomeness.

Here's the five cent version since I know that you are going to read it right after you read this...

Some fundamental Muslims chasing down a professor who thinks he has a lead on Mohammad's last revelation that would totally contradict the entire Qur'an. Are you getting excited yet? You should...Because an ex-secret service agent gets involved, the President of the US and Thomas Jefferson...What? Crazy, I know...And that's why you should read it...

Basically, if you like anything Dan Brown has written, you need to stop everything what you are doing and read this book. It reads quick...I finished it in a flight to Dallas and another hour in a hotel room...Seriously, quick...This is the Muslim version of the Da Vinci code and we all know that that book was kind of lame and slow and not interesting...Right!!!

The only thing I didn't like about this book is the size of the author's name on the front. I totally understand that you have one of the coolest last names ever in THOR but come on bro...Why even title your books??? Maybe a pic and your name god of Thunder...Also, because of this dude's greatness in life, the back cover is homeboy's glamor shot...Lame holmes...Show a picture of the main character holding a machine gun next time...


That's it...

Next up...Half way done with The Shack....Interesting so far....

And also...Don't say anything anybody yet until I post something about this....but....I'm reading Audacity of Hope by Barack...This will be for another discussion....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like some good reads--few comments:

I totally used to be in to Rand. Couldn't get past her ideas on altruism/selfishness. Didn't feel the gel will my moral and spiritual values. That being said, I LOVED the Incredibles and the message behind it. I'm sure there is a middle ground I'm missing. Thanks for giving me something to think about.

This is, like, the third time this Eat, Pray, Love thing has come up in conversation (or blogversations) that I've had. I personally found the bok life-changing. Literally. I suppose it is because I relate to much of her past experience much too well. I have this tendency sometimes to think that everyone is touched and moved by the same types of experiences--I'm learning that is so not true! In spite of the wild popularity of the book, I am the only person I know who loved it! ;-) My favorite takeaway was her encounter with the spiritual (whom I can't recall if she refers to as God at that point), in which she writes in her notebook, "You have no idea how strong my love is." It's become a mantra for me. I think I did a serious megablog of this book early this year--I'll have to go back and look.

The Last Patriot is definitely on my reading list for the future. Can't wait to read it.

Good to see you guys yesterday, albeit briefly. Let's hang out soon.

Unknown said...

mimsnpopsLove John Grishom. My favorite is his first book,"A Time to Kill". I also liked the one about jury tampering but I can't remember the name of it. Be sure to let us know what you think about Obama's book.

Jill said...

Hey Jonathon! Haven't read your blog in awhile - good to catch up! And, I read Obama's book about a year and a half ago and loved it. Will be curious to hear your thoughts!