Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Ayn Rand Owns Me...

About 8 months ago, my friend Valerie recommended that I read Atlas Shrugged. She said that it would change my outlook on a lot of things in life, especially business. Being somewhat of an avid reader, I was game. Well, I can officially say that I am finally done. 1168 pages, several plane flights and hotel stays later I am done.

Although it took me forever to finish, I will say it is a phenomenal book. It reads like drying paint in some areas, hence the time it took to read it. I would go into all the details of the book but I have forgot many of them. Maybe I should read it again? Na...At least not right now.

I will say that while reading it, I saw many similarities to the current political differences we hear everyday...And this book was written in 1957 and took place during the industrial revolution...

Read the Wiki entry here to gain some insight if you don't want to commit to reading the entire thing...

It's on to a bunch of other books I have in the queue...The World is Flat, Getting Things Done, For Men Only...These are going to be a breeze compared to this beast...

2 comments:

WT said...

congrats, dude! I was rooting for you to finish, all the way. don't you love the speech he gives when he takes over the radio? go back and read it again someday - it will hit you even harder the second time around.

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I loved the book, too. You should also go for The Fountainhead sometime. Good stuff and an easier read (I found). I don't identify with Rand as much as I used to, but I can always appreciate good writing.

And I also have The World is Flat in my hatch. Along with Into the Wild (which I am currently reading--thanks to your suggestion) and Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger: Moving from Affluence to Generosity.