Saturday, February 9, 2008

Into the Wild

So I decided that I would cheat a little bit and not finish Atlas Shrugged before I started another book. I went ahead and downloaded Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer from iTunes. I haven't listened to a book on tape for awhile but I thought this would be a great one because of its story. In total, it was a tad over 7 hours long so between driving to and from work and some other random driving it took three days to knock it out.

I have to say that I really enjoyed listening to this book. Without giving too much away, it's about a young man (Chris McCandless) in the early nineties that took an amazing adventure out west with basically nothing in his pocket. While I disagree with some of the guy's view on life, I agree with several others. Unfortunately, things didn't end up very well for the guy. Nonetheless, he left behind detailed journals, letters and other documents to vividly tell a great story that I think most could enjoy.

If you're into the outdoors or into the life of a wanderer, you should check this out. I'm thinking about going to see it at the movies just to see some of the places that he was during his trip. I'm sure it will be a disappointment though as most movies are after reading or listening to the book.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you liked this, read Into Thin Air!!!

Anonymous said...

I just saw the movie and I definitely recommend it. Chris McCandless seemed like one hell of a dude! Like you said, his theories were kinda out there, yet the dude made a lot of sense. The guy who played him in the movie, Emile Hirsch, had me totally convinced. I probably should of read the book first but I was blown away by the movie. Sean Penn did an excellent job directing and Eddie Vedder did an awesome job with the musical score. CHECK IT OUT!!!!