Saturday, May 12, 2007

Culture Warrior

So my second book review of my four recent book purchases is a book by Bill O'Reilly called Culture Warrior. I'm sure most of you know who Bill O'Reilly is and it's probably a love or hate relationship. I personally like his talk show on Fox News, not so much because of the conservative stance, but because of his intelligent insight on things going on.

I would say that my political ideologies tend to skew to the right (both social as well as fiscal) but I'm not some neo-conservative right winger. Needless to say, I really did like this book and would recommend it. The premise of the book is Bill talking about the movement of secular-progressivism vs. traditionalism in the US. He cites several examples in the book as well as drops a whole bunch of names that are on board with the SP movement. Since I've only read one side, I can't really make comments about these other people's stances on things. I think one of the biggest problems that we face is not so much the ideologies of people but the arguing and smearing that goes on. People take politics so seriously and personal that it's tough to have an intelligent conversation about it without people getting all jacked up. If you "Google" blog search Bill O'Reilly, you get about 9million hits and I would say that 95% of them are people bashing. Likewise, when you blog search some of the people that Bill isn't too fond of (George Soros, ACLU, etc.), it's the same thing. Let's get over it people. Opposed to getting all bent out of shape and sharing your feelings online or in print, do something about it in a peaceful and effective manner. Rants and raves in my book just don't get things done.

Anyways, that's number 2. I'm debating what book is next. I have a relationship type book and I have a Kurt Vonnegut book so I don't know which way I'll go.

No comments: