Monday, April 2, 2007

Texas Adventure Part I

So this past weekend was my trip to Texas for my buddy Austin's Bachelor Party. Before I get to the actual "vacation" part of the trip I have to describe my travel experience just to get to Texas. That's why this is just part I because they will be more......

Here's a timeline of events of the beginning of my trip....All times actual

3pm (EST) - Check in and grab some grub and a couple coolskis at The Sports Scene (Terminal C)

4:15pm - Announce there is some weather and our flight is going to be delayed. Was supposed to leave at 4:25pm

4:30 to 6pm - Hang out in the Delta Crown Room with some random dude that didn't want to drink by himself. Interesting fella.

6:30pm - Board plane and take off (Fall asleep immediately)

7:30pm (CST) - Am awakened to the announcement that we are diverting to Austin because of crazy weather in Dallas

7:45 - 8:30pm - Hang around Austin Airport and eat some bottom of the barrel Chinese food

8:45 - 10:30pm - Sit on the runway in the plane because weather still sucks in Dallas

10:45pm - Get off plane again in Austin

11pm - Get back plane ready to take off after another 45 minutes or so but captain comes again with the announcement that the plane is having mechanical issues and we can't go...BOO

1:30am - Get off one plane and get on another that is right next to ours.

2:30am - Get on new plane and taxi out to runway,,,,waiting,,,,,waiting,,,,,waiting,,,,,captain comes over loud speaker again to tell us that FAA has just pulled him from flying because he had already worked 16 hours....And here's where people flip.....

3:30am - Taxi back to gate and wait for groundcrew to unload luggage

3:30 to 4am - Wait around at gate to tell us where we need to stay for the night

4 to 4:15am - Take a taxi to a Hyatt with some random people....More interesting people

4:30am - Get checked in and go to room....Check out some news and shut it down at close to 5

WOW!!! I travel a fair amount and something like this has never happened to me. Fortunately I am a patient dude and I don't sweat stuff like this so it really was kind of funny to me. Now for some others, this was the end of the earth. It was amazing to watch people totally crack in a tough situation, especially those that didn't have anymore juice on their Blackberry. Just hilarious.....

Needless to say, we were able to get on a flight the next morning at 10:30am. And to show you how Karma works, I got bumped to first class on the flight due to my Silver Elite status. Well as I was about to board there was a lady that was totally wiggin' out because she wasn't sitting in first class anymore so I'm like "here's my ticket, first class doesn't really matter to me." So we traded tickets and when I was about to board, her ticket got upgraded too. Freakin' beautiful.....Nothin' like flying first class on a 30 minute flight....

Anyways, what a night and a way to start a trip....I'll post some more about the actual trip along with some photos.....

No comments: