Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Ok, Ok...One more for 2008...

I didn't think I was going to finish this one before the New Year but I just couldn't put it down last night...So, I stayed up til' about 1 or so and finished it up...

This was one of the best books I've read this past year. Malcolm Gladwell takes a look at success through a different lense...Opposed to looking at the individual and their success, he takes a look at many other factors.

We all love a good story about a person that defeats all odds and becomes a success through hard work and determination...Movies and books are often written because of "self-made" men/women.

The best example that was given talked about the tallest tree in the forest. It's all about the hardiest acorn that becomes the tallest tree. We examine why that acorn was so much better than all the others but neglect analyzing the soil it grew from, the sunlight it received and the trees around it. Here...I drew a picture for you...

In light of this example, Gladwell takes a look at specific examples of successful individuals and analyzing the forces surrounding the individual and their success...ie when they were born, socio-ecocomics and cultural legacies. Absolutely fascinating is all I have to say.

As complex as the topic is, he makes it incredible easy to read and understand. Lots and lots of facts from lots of different studies that have already been done.

If you haven't done it already, put this one on your 09' reading list. It's worth your time.

Onto 2009 for me...

No comments: