Monday, December 8, 2008

Minor Rant....

Here's the deal...I didn't vote for Obama...

But I am rooting for him 100%...

Why wouldn't I? I hope he earns my vote in 4 years from now because I think if he does then he would have completely turn this economy around and set a great foundation for the future...That being said...

He was on Meet the Press this weekend and said this....

TOM BROKAW, MODERATOR: Your vice president Joe Biden said during the course of this campaign it would be patriotic for the wealthy to pay more on taxes. In this economy, does he still believe that?

BARACK OBAMA: Well, I think what Joe meant is exactly what I described which is that if, if our entire economic policy is premised on the notion that greed is good and what's in it for me, it turns out that that's not good for anybody. It's not good for the wealthy, it's not good for the poor, and it's not good for the vast majority in the middle.

And I get a little powerpoint slide from a Union rep at the Atlanta airport that says this, "The IAM (I am the Future) will end Delta's unilateral control over wages and give employees the ability to negotiate and ratify the wages and other employment terms they want."

This was from a Union representative which is a major constituency of Obama because of his stance on Unions. Doesn't this say "What's in it for me?" Doesn't this say, I could care less about our customer, where's my jack and my benefits?

I'm not saying that the machinists and mechanics shouldn't get paid a crap load of money. In fact, I hope they do. Not because they tell their bosses that they should but because they are really good at what they do. I depend on these people monthly. I fly all the time and I hope they do a great job and I hope they get paid a bunch because they are really good...Not because they have worked there the longest or not because they and a bunch of other people like them told their bosses that they should get paid a lot...

I don't want to get raises because I tell my boss what I want to make. I want to get raises because my boss sees value in what I do and I give a crap about the entire company...

Isn't an employee/employer relationship unilateral when it comes to pay and benefits?

Boss: Hi Joe, you get paid this much to do your job description
Joe: Ok, so what you saying is...Is if I do that, I get this?
Boss: Absolutely.
Joe: Cool....
Boss: Now go get em' Tiger...

I seriously hope this country doesn't go back to Union control...I think they served a great purpose at a time (ie No Human Resource Law and horrible working conditions)...But I don't see the benefit now...

If someone does know...Please clarify....

4 comments:

WT said...

If he follows through on some of his promises to people who gave him $$, then you will see more and easier unionization. Though, Obama has already bucked his platform a tad, so there may be hope!

I do love though that not only did he not back away from the whole "paying taxes is patriotic," statement, but went further and said that wanting lower taxes is greed! If there's one thing I know, it's that JBurns is a greedy person, with his time, talent, and treasure... Shame on you. Or, shame on you, Obama!

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to refrain from political discussion these days, but two books on a related topic are "The Working Poor: Invisible in America" by David K. Shipler and "Nickel and Dimed" by Barbara Ehrenreich. They may provide the perspective for which you are looking.

Have a good one!

JB said...

After re-reading my post, I wanted to clarify a few things...

First and foremost, employee/employer relationships shouldn't be a political matter. Unfortunately it is. Just like church/state matters become entirely too political.

Secondly, I have a very strong opinion on Union labor because of over 10 years (makes me sound old) in the marketplace. And I make these comments not from an executive ivory tower looking at my stock options but as someone who has seen a bunch in the business world and who has friends ranging from factory worker to CEO.

My opinion is solely idealogical based on my experiences in the marketplace.

It has nothing to do with party affliation or Obama...It has to do with the "What's in it for me?" attitude labor Unions typically have.

Anonymous said...

You tell them, Jonathon!!!!! I'm so proud of you. Unions have almost ruined this country. Everything costs more because of them. And the Big Boys get richer and richer and us po' folks are paying through the nose.... have you bought groceries lately?