Thursday, January 24, 2008

"WWJBD"

Let me first start off by saying that I'm not an economist so I don't know the "ins" and "outs" of this $150 Billion Stimulus Package. What I am, is a West Wing freak that knows that something like this was tried before and it didn't work. Let's go back to season 3 of West Wing and the episode called Stirred. If you don't remember, I highly recommend you stop what you're doing and buy the entire season and watch just this episode. For those of you who find that stupid, I'll fill you in. Besides for the stuff going on with the VP and the Uranium rod nuclear issue, Charlie is filing his tax return online. After a little help from the Man Himself (Jed B), he finds out that he has to pay taxes although he makes $36k a year and gives to charity. He was perplexed at why this happened until Jed enlightened him. Here's where the Govt' needs to takes note. Jed explained to Charlie in the prior year the Govt' issued a tax rebate and the idea behind it was to stimulate the economy. Sound familiar? Well, Jed goes on and explains that it didn't work...Catch that...Because people like Charlie either put it towards credit cards or save it.

I mean seriously, it's been tried...It didn't work. I don't mind the check. I'll stimulate the economy by using some of it to pay for my honeymoon but come on now guys...Bush, Bernake, Pelosi, Paulson, and the rest of Govt'...Ask yourself..."What Would Jed Bartlett Do?"

2 comments:

WT said...

best. series. EVER!
I have to agree on the stupid stimulus idea, even though I don't take pleasure in agreeing with (liberal) JB's logic.

Anonymous said...

I dont know anything about politics, but I would follow Jed anywhere!!! Especially for this election!